Peace Corps Guatemala

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tajumulco: Highest point in Central America

Last weekend some volunteers and I went to the department San Marcos to climb the highest peak in Central America.  When we arrived we saw the peak and I thought to myself, "thats not even that high".  Boy was I wrong.  We all slept at a volunteer's house and left early the next morning.  We had our hiking packs filled with warm clothes and lots of food


14,220 feet.  Here we go!




It took us about 3 1/2 hours to get to base camp.  We had two tents but no rain tarps.  Somehow we forgot to check our tents before we made it to the top of the volcano.  We squished four people into a small tent and three in another.  Even though we had some problems it was a great time.  I have never been in that kind of elevation and I think my tent mates will agree I think it made me a little goofy.  We had a fun time in the tent even though we got settled in at 6:30 to wake up real early to continue our trip up.  Of course around 8 it started to rain and most of our stuff got wet.  But we made the best of the situation and enjoyed our time up above the clouds.  We woke up at 3:45 am, put on our headlamps, and left.  We got to the top in time to see the sunrise. I don't know if I have ever been so cold in my entire life.  It was freeeezzzing!  The wind was so strong and ice cold. It felt like we were on top of the world.                 
                                                                                                               
 


Even though it was unbelievably cold, it was a great experience.  We had a great group of volunteers and the views were amazing.  I am going to try and do it again in March or April when its warmer.  Right now I can't imagine climbing it again because I am sore all over, but I think I will. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home