Peace Corps Guatemala

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

let the good times roll

We started working!!  We have 24 schools and Kata and I are sharing just 3 of them together.  We are pretty lucky because all of our schools are kind of easy to get to, except three.  We have some beautiful hikes through mountains and tropics.  There are a few schools that have questionable roads to them.  I have a feeling when the rainy season is here we will have more swimming to do than walking. Some of our teachers aren´t that excited for our program to be in their school, but hopefully that will change soon.  We visited three today that were basically in Alta Verapaz.  It takes about 2 hours to get to the town thats close to the schools then we have to grab a smaller bus to go up into the mountains.  Kata and I may be sleeping at the schools for the entire week while we work with the teachers.  Theres not much transportation in that area, so I guess we´ll be roughin it.  Its a little strange but the teachers have a room with a bunch of cots for them, because they sleep there too...Kata and I will find a different room.  We have finished all of our first school visits so now we are starting work.  Its weird because were dividing up our schools tonight and I will be working alone from here on out.  I think my spanish will improve greatly without having Kata by my side, but its a bit scary doing this alone.  

Today was mothers day in Guatemala.  Yesterday I came home and Heidy (my host ¨mom¨) was making a present for each student´s mother.  I sat down with her and we worked for 4 hours.  I couldn´t be luckier with my family.  They are the most amazing people.  We talked for hours about our families, life as a peace corps volunteer, guys, everything.  They commented last week on how I dont have much variety in my meals and they said they want me to start eating with them more. And theyre already talking about how they are going to miss me when I move across town.  I wish there was a way to live with them for the 2 yeras, but with a baby on the way I don´t really know if thats possible.  I skype with mom and dad each week and this week they said they wanted to meet them, and say hello.  I bought her some flowers today for mothers day.  I really couldnt be happier with my home situation.

Bear.  Bear. Bear. Bear.  Where do I even begin.  She returned last week after disappearing for a week.  Apparently, she escaped at 1 am and was then stolen by a guy that was on his way to guate.  He heard my families announcments and brought him back!  She is trouble trouble trouble. This morning I was getting ready to leave and I realized it was quiet, too quiet.  I looked and Bear was not tied up.  I asked Heidy if Rone had taken here and she said, ¨ella no esta alli??!!¨ So we run around the yard looking for her and then all of the sudden we hear the rooster and hens squeeking.  Bear dug under the chicken coop and starting chasing the birds.  Finally, Bear was caught and releashed, properly. She refuses to eat dog food.  So now she eats mangos, melons, tortillas, chicken, soup. She is one spoiled guatemalan dog.   Oh, if you didn´t already know, I gave Bear to my family 3 weeks ago because I can´t handle this crazy dog...and in their eyes Bear can´t do any wrong...unless she eats one of their chickens.  


Things are good here.  Kata has a home with a family and we are working in the schools.  We are desperately waiting for it to rain.  Its so hot here..and we know its coming soon.  

I miss and love you all!  Drop me some love on gmail or facebook! Porfa

Margarita


 P.S.  I read a lot of other peace corps blogs, and I just want to apologize for how boring my background is.  I´m not really sure how to set that up and I dont really care that much.  Lo siento

1 Comments:

Blogger Cullen Bailey Burns said...

Hey sweetie--love the blog; keep posting. I read it often because it makes me happy to hear about your adventures. xoxoxoox Mom

May 16, 2011 at 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home